Malta Mathematics Olympiad 2015
The Department of Curriculum Management is organising the eighth edition of the Malta Mathematics Olympiad 2015.
The Malta Mathematics Olympiad 2017 will be held at
St. Gorg Preca College, Girls Secondary School, Blata l-Bajda on Tuesday 24th March 2015. The competition will start at 9.00 a.m.; however, participants are requested to be at the venue at least 30 minutes before the start, for registration.
- The competition is open for teams consisting of three students attending state and non-state secondary schools in Malta, whose 15th birthday falls after 31st December, 2014. Teams may be accompanied by one reserve who may only take part in the individual competition. In the case when one of the three main participants is absent on the day, the reserve will take his/her place in the team competition. Each school can participate with one team only.
- The competition will consist of three parts. Participants attempt Part A on an individual basis. Parts B and C are a team effort. Part A consists of 10 to 12 open questions with varying mark allocation for a total of 45 marks. This section will last 45 minutes. Calculators are allowed and therefore participants should each have a calculator available. Part B consists of 15 multiple-choice questions and will last 45 minutes. Each question carries 2 marks. For this section calculators are not allowed. Part C consists of 10 to 12 open questions with varying mark allocation for a total of 45 marks. This section will last 45 minutes. Calculators are allowed A break of 15 minutes will separate the three parts of the competition.
- The team with the highest number of marks from the three sections will be declared the winner of the team competition. The marks scored by the reserve student in the individual competition will not be taken into account for the team competition. The participant, including the reserve, with the highest number of marks from Part A will be declared winner of the individual competition.
- If two or more teams have the same number of points they will take part in a playoff. This consists of five multiple-choice questions which are to be answered in 10 minutes. If two teams again finish with the same marks the one who finished first will be declared the winner. The same applies for the individual competition.
- All participants will receive a certificate of participation.
- Team Competition: a) The winning team including the reserve will receive the Olympiad Shield that will be kept by the school for two years (up to the next Olympiad) a trophy that will be retained by the school a special prize and books for each member of the team. b) Teams placing second and third will receive books and other tokens for each of member of the team.
- Individual Competition: The first three placings of the individual competition will receive a certificate of excellence and books the winner of the individual competition will also receive a special prize