high 5 - Junior Mathematicians Challenge
This initiative targets gifted and talented primary students who are in Years 5 and 6 during scholastic year 2016 – 2017 in both state and non-state primary schools.
The aim is to give further opportunity to gifted and talented primary students to hone their talents through practice with stimulating mathematical problems.
The qualifying students will have the opportunity to participate in five 2-hour training seminars which will take after school hours.
In the seminars the students:
- will be presented with rich tasks that require skills beyond computation, through which they will also reinforce their spatial as well as analytic abilities.
- will be given the opportunity to enrich their heuristic skills.
- will be further challenged to create questions.
- will explore and develop mathematics which may be new to them.
- will have access to a wide range of resources including assistive technology.
- will participate in individual and group challenges.
- will keep a portfolio.
The students who participate in the seminars will be given the opportunity to participate in the final phase of the Junior Mathematicians Challenge in April 2017.
The deadline for registering students is 11th November 2016.